Monday 20 February 2017

Milton Keynes Marathon - Half way round.

Previously on Run Sancho Run: I'm running the Milton Keynes Marathon in May, but living in Leeds means I can't recce the route in advance.  Luckily I grew up in MK and have very fond memories of large sections of the marathon course.  My last post looked at The First Six Miles and this one will get us to half way.

With CMK* behind us the next section of the course promises to be a lot more scenic.  Having joined the Redway network and skirted the back of Milton Keynes Hospital the route takes us, not for the first time, across the Grand Union Canal and on to Woughton on the Green, Woolstone, and Milton Keynes Village, three of the original villages around which Milton Keynes has been growing for the last 50 years.

By mile 9 Willen Lake comes into sight.  Having spent so much time at Willen Lake over the years, my mind will be awash with memories as we run around the home of Milton Keynes parkrun and Redway Runners**.  The marathon route only follows the parkrun route for a short while (missing out the switchback flight of stairs!) as it passes around North Lake and the Peace Pagoda.

The Peace Pagoda
We will continue through Willen (home of Willen Hospice who I'm sure will have a large contingent of runners raising money for them) and push on through Tongwell and the halfway point of the Marathon.  13.1 miles down and through a huge variety of scenery from modern to traditional, city to countryside.  MK Marathon will have already stirred strong memories for me, but the next section will take me through *my* Milton Keynes, the estates where my friends and I grew up, and the section that I am most looking forward to.

http://mkmarathon.com/

I am training for the Milton Keynes Marathon on the 1st May and have been selected to be one of their ambassadors.  I am also raising money for Bliss, the premature baby charity.  You can find my Just Giving page here.

* Central Milton Keynes
** I do wonder if I would have taken up running if I had stayed in MK or if life would have sent me in a completely different direction.  If I had, would I be a Redway Runner?

No comments:

Post a Comment