Wednesday 31 December 2014

2014: Personal Bests and personal worsts - Part 2

Where was I? Ah yes, there had been hills, chaffing, PBs and a half marathon. What did the second half of 2014 have in store?

July:  In 2013 I entered my first race, the Leeds 10k.  To say that I let myself down is an understatement.  Given the amount of training that I had done I was determined to break the 50 minute mark.  I finished the Leeds 10k in a new PB of 49:52, over 17 minutes faster than last year.  That is what a year of training can do.  Total Distance 70.03km

August:  With all but one of 2014s races out of the way I needed something to keep me focused and to keep me running until the Abbey Dash in November.  100 mile August should have been enough to keep me focused, however I only managed 23 miles before I injured my knee.  I don't know what I did, but I couldn't even run for a bus let alone another 77 miles.  The challenge was over, so was running for the foreseeable future.  Total Distance 40.44km

September:  I discovered in September just how good for me running had been.  I had been focusing on times and distances, the fitness benefits had been secondary, a happy by product of achieving my goals.  Due to my injured knee I was losing fitness and putting weight back on, but most significantly I was struggling mentally.  I needed to do something to clear my head and that something was walking the Yorkshire 3 Peaks.  It was tough with a gammy knee but I made it with a little help from my friends and some walking poles.  Total Distance 43.46km

October:  After two months off, numerous physio visits and an x-ray, I was finally given the all clear to start running again.  I only had 4 weeks before the Abbey Dash but I couldn't risk further injury so I took it steady, starting right back at my first run in 2012, a circuit of Cross Flatts Park.  October was also when I found out that I hadn't got a place in the London Marathon.  I have never been so happy not to get something that I had wanted.  Total Distance 21.31km

November:  The Abbey Dash came around faster than I had anticipated.  Before my injury I had wanted to get will under 50 minutes but after a couple of months off my feet I just wanted to get around the course.  The week of the race a good friend had an awful accident.  I raced to raise money for those who helped him and finished in 50:03,  7 minutes faster than last year and only just off my Leeds 10k time.  The month ended with the Leeds Christmas 10k Challenge, a multi terrain race around Middleton woods and a smile on my face, I was running again. Total Distance 84.94km

December:  With no races and nothing immediate to train for, December has been about enjoying running.  I went on an organised group run and I had a few runs with some running buddies.  This is significant for me as, apart from races, I have always run alone.  I could get used to the communal side of group running. Total Distance 108.59

I'll be honest, 2014 has been a mixed bag, but over all it has been a good year.  The only negatives have been the hugely disappointing Pudesy 10k and injuring my knee.  The highlight was crossing the finish line for the Leeds Half Marathon, but the race of the year was the Harewood 10k.  I will race Pudsey again and lay that demon to rest, but not in 2015, I have plans for 2015.

As for the injury, I'm still unsure what happened to my knee, or what caused it.  The knee is still not 100% yet but the forced time off gave me an opportunity to reassess why I run.  I know now that running is part of me no matter what the distance or the speed.  I don't need to run to prove anything, but I do need to run.  It gives me time to reflect, time to breath, and it's good for my health, both physical and mental.

This year was all about the half marathon but there is no room in my running schedule for it next year.  2014 was great, but I have big plans 2015.  Thank you for all of the support and encouragement this year, and for reading my blog.  I hope you'll come along for the ride next year: 2015 is going to be epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment